Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Darlene J. Forsythe 'Collaborating with Public Libraries' Aug 24, 2009 LM_Net

Our textbook boes into some detail about collaborating with public libraries...what not to and what MUST be done. I got the feeling that the author is a proponent of the concept but not really sure what to advise about it. Darlene Forsythe seems not to know any more. I asked my students today, prompted by a Channel One story about "texting librarians," how many of them - or even someone in their family - had a library card. About 12 students raised their hands. I know my students pick out books from the library at school, but would they know how to do this at a library that does not have AR or RC color-codes and points? Unfortunately most of my students pick out books based on lexiles and points and nothing much else if left on their own. Does this translate to life-long learning? Not so much.

1 comment:

  1. This is not a message that is getting out there as more schools throw themselves on the AR pyre.

    ReplyDelete